It’s officially football season. Yippee! Ok – maybe not so much for those of us that are not into football. However, we can learn a lot from a good football game. Imagine a football coach going into a game without a game plan, not a good idea, right? Why would it be different for any worthwhile effort? Taking the time to strategize, to know your game plan, and to map out how you are going to execute your game plan is essential to success, regardless of what you are trying to accomplish.
So what does this look like when applied to social media marketing (SMM)? Here are some key questions to think through as you build out your SMM playbook:
- Start with your organization or business goals. There should be a direct connection between your goals and your SMM strategy. These could be increasing brand awareness, increasing foot traffic, increasing membership, building credibility, increasing traffic to your website, attracting new donors or customers, etc. You get the idea.
- How are you marketing now? What’s working? What’s not working? What skills do you have and what skill sets do you need to bring in to support your efforts?
- What’s your market? Who are your competitors and what are they doing on social media? What seems to be working/not working for them?
- Who is your target audience? Who are you trying to reach? What are their demographics? What do they value? Where do they get their information?
- How will you measure success? How do you know your efforts are getting the results you are looking for?
Whether you plan on developing and executing your SMM plan yourself or hiring someone to guide you, these questions are a great starting point in developing an effective plan. They will help you determine where to target your efforts, what key messages and networks make the most sense for what you are looking to accomplish and what skills and resources you need to successfully execute your plan.
We’ve provided social media strategy development and execution for many of our clients. If you’d like to learn more, please reach out. We’d love to learn more about your goals and answer any questions you may have.